Code of Ethics
Edinburgh International Society is a non-profit organisation based in the City of Edinburgh with experience of enhancing cultural exchange and building international understanding. Our mission is to increase cross-cultural understanding and goodwill between the Edinburgh community and international students, travellers and visitors.
International Society is a secular and non-political organisation, open to people of all faiths and ideologies who wish to come together in the spirit of compassion, curiosity, and multicultural friendship. As an organisation, TEIS is welcoming, supportive, inclusive, and fun. We value open-mindedness and respect for the richness of cultures around the world.
International Society asks that anyone participating in our activities follow these guidelines:
- Demonstrate awareness of, sensitivity to, and respect for other values, beliefs, viewpoints, systems, and cultures.
- Recognize their own culture and value orientations and be aware of how those orientations affect their interactions with people from other cultures.
- Respect all persons without regard to race, colour, national origin, ethnicity, sex, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, age, political opinion, immigration status, or disability.
- Avoid proselytizing. Proselytizing is defined as unsolicited, coercive, manipulative and/or hidden persuasion that seeks to influence others to adopt another way of thinking, believing or behaving, particularly in relation to religious and political views.
- Refrain from exploiting, threatening, coercing, disrespecting, or sexually harassing others.
- Seek appropriate guidance and direction when faced with ethical dilemmas.
Please help us ensure that International Society is a place where multicultural friendships can truly flourish. Contact us immediately if anyone involved in an International Society activity does not respect the above guidelines.